Eggplant is one of those vegetables I’ll admit we don’t have very often in our house. That needs to change because these Grilled Eggplant with Feta/Mango Chutney are seriously good. This recipe makes a delicious appetizer for any get-together or party, heck even just a pre-dinner snack! They are seriously good.
Eggplant is a highly overlooked vegetable, bursting full of vitamins and nutrients. Contrary to disbelief it is a very workable and easy vegetable to cook with. This grilled eggplant and chutney recipe is an eggplant 101 recipe. Very easy and straightforward with next to no hiccups along the way. This recipe also makes for a good kid-friendly appetizer or could be used as a side to any of your favourite dishes.
Grilled Eggplant with Feta/Mango Chutney
- 1 whole eggplant
- 1 diced mango
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 small diced roma tomato
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut eggplant lengthwise, roughly 1/2 inch, thick. Then cut in half.
2. Heat your grill to 375F and lightly brush your eggplant halves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
3. Place on grill for 3-4 minutes per side, rotating 90* halfway through (for char marks)
4. Once cooked to desired texture, set aside to cool
5. While eggplant is cooling, in a small mixing bowl combine your diced mango, feta cheese, and tomato and mix well
6. Set aside until eggplant is completely cool, then top with a tablespoon to a tablespoon and a half of chutney topping.
You can choose to grill the eggplant, skin on or skin off. Choosing to grill with the skin on holds the shape and is easier to work with (remember to peel the skin before plating). This recipe is light and fruity with beautiful earthy undertones sure to please even the pickiest of pallets.
If you are like us and have a few picky kids in the bunch be sure to add some of their favorite toppings. Even with the Feta/Mango chutney, anything you want to add to make it a little more kid friendly will work.